Artists from all disciplines—amateurs, students, and professionals alike—are encouraged to join in exploring the role of movement across the arts.
Somatic practice—or the development of internal bodily awareness—is an increasingly common foundation for training in the visual and performing arts. Weaving together physical exercises and artistic experiments, this workshop introduces methods for leveraging the knowledge and wisdom of the body in making art.
The workshop is structured to help develop skills in a number of different ways, including:
- Recognition of biological movement patterns
- Quality of your mark or “voice”
- Comfort and self-care when making art
- Use of cellphones to capture and analyze motion in new and interesting ways
- An enhanced sense of rhythm, time and space
- A longer attention span